Monday, May 31, 2010

Graduation

During my thirteen years working in high school, I learned the significance of the graduation ceremony. For no other reason than my own regard for commencement, I was eager to witness the ISPP graduation. First a little background: from the director's remarks I learned that ISPP is only 14 years old. (Not a lot of time to establish traditions, but long enough to develop bad habits.) There were only 22 graduates. According to Jim, this is the last class before the enrollment of the school began to grow significantly. For example, there are currently 37 ninth graders and over 40 sixth graders.

Jim and Ev before the ceremony

In 14 years, the ceremony has become a series of speeches. (That didn't seem like a good thing to me.) Because there were so few graduates, everyone of them was given the opportunity to address the audience. (That seemed like a formula for disaster.) When Jim told me about the student speeches, Eveline added, "That's the best part." (I couldn't imagine.) I wondered to myself, if 22 speeches is "the best part," how painful would the "not the best part" be.

The agenda was pretty straight forward--principal's address, director's address, student council president's address, keynote speaker's address, 22 student speeches, a few awards, slide show, presentation of diplomas, recessional. You can see for yourself why I was less than enthusiastic.

Sure enough, the ceremony began with the processional. Accompanied by traditional Khmer music, the 22 graduates entered. I don't care if it's 22 or 220 graduates, Harvard or the Garden and Gecko pre-school, there is something about a processional that chokes me up. I guess it was the joy on the faces of the graduates and the pride on the faces of the parents and grandparents that reminded me of the dignity of the commencement ceremony.

With one of my sixth graders, Milly

Jim took the mike and delivered a beautiful reminder to the graduates of their obligations to those who supported them in their accomplishments. Earlier in the day Jim told me about his idea to have students use their cell phones during his speech. I tried my best to dissuade him, and as I listened that night I wondered if I had been successful. I hadn't. At his direction the graduates called their loved ones to thank them for their love and support. Damned if it didn't work. One parent dialed his son in Spain and walked to the stage so his daughter, the graduate, could speak to her brother. It was cool, to say the least.

With the director, Barry Sutherland

Before long the student speeches began. Because not every graduate chose to speak, I think there were 14 speeches--all of them except two were very short. All of them were heart-felt. Several were downright emotional. Some weren't the best, but like the old saying goes "You gotta take the good with the bad." ISPP kids are from all over the world, therefore many of the graduates addressed the audience in their native languages. Talk about emotional. Like Ev said, "It was the best part."

The ceremony lasted one hour and 45 minutes. Too long in my book, but then again I didn't have a kid up there on the stage. To the parents, grand parents and participants, I'm sure it felt shorter than that. All things considered, the program overcame its faults. I think I know why.

Paige, Milly, and Saveeta (all grade six)

Eighteen straight speeches is too many, but it didn't feel that way. An hour forty-five is too long, but it didn't feel that way. Why not? James Canavan. Commencement is his baby. Like every good parent, he loves his baby. He wants everyone else to love his baby, too. He poured his heart and soul into it. During his speech, you could feel his genuine affection for his graduates. On his face you could see his pride in them and their accomplishments. By the number of personal acknowledgments, you knew the street is two ways. He has altered the ceremony without destroying the "traditions" established in 14 years. (I did hear him wonder aloud what they will do about student speeches next year when 35 kids graduate.)

The ISPP commencement was dignified. It was classy. It was Jim.

Jim and Ev at the post-graduation party

2 comments:

  1. Jay,

    This is Cathy, Jim's sister. I hope he has relayed to you how very much I enjoy your blog. As I told him, it's the next best thing to being there...to have you there for your first time, experiencing, I'm sure, very similar sights, sounds, and, yes, smells that I would if I were there.

    Today, though, was time to tell you, via post, thank you. You see, I don't see much of my youngest brother. The world may be smaller, but Phenom Penh is still a hell of ways away.

    Today, I got to "see" through you what I've heard from Eveline. That Jim is good at what he does. That Jim cares about what he does. That Jim is PASSIONATE about what he does. And he is far luckier than the rest of his siblings because he chose a profession that means that much to him.

    We are inordinately proud of the guy. As my uncle said a while ago, "your little bro is something special". I couldn't agree more. Makes us wish we treated him better when he was little and always asking to tag along.

    Today, via your post, I got to "tag along" with him, to an event that means so much to him. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

    Safe trip home. I'm sure your family misses you and can't wait to see you. I hope to meet you in person some day.

    All the best,

    Cathy Canavan Mantor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cathy,

    Thanks for the note. I have enjoyed writing the blog, but knowing that it has served you personally makes it seem even more fulfilling.

    I think I could not have survived Phnom Penh without Jim and Ev and the girls. They are my family away from home. I can understand that you miss Jim and his crew very much. I kid Jim all the time by saying that I came all this way to be with my good friend, and I never see him! You might not realize the level of commitment he maintains and the time away from home which that demands. He grumbles in private, but he puts on the happy face and shows up at almost every event on campus from board meetings to drama nights. It was been a genuine privilege to witness his work at ISPP.

    I cannot fail to mention Eveline in this same regard. She is an incredible mother to her girls AND she runs the Garden and Gecko Preschool, which also demands her time and energy. I'd say I don't know how they do it, but I saw first-hand how they do it--together. And, lest I repeat myself (over and over and over) all of this is accomplished despite the heat. This is the hottest darn place I've ever been. It wears me out. Lots of water and lots of naps.

    I look forward to meeting you too. Perhaps that will happen at Deep Creek Lake. At least, I hope so.

    Jay

    ReplyDelete