Saturday, May 8, 2010

Malis

So this morning I was on Skype with my daughter, Julie and she told me about a television show she watched. I'm not sure of the title but it featured the world culinary daredevil, Andrew Zimmer. This particular episode was set in Phnom Penh. He visited and ate at a restaurant named Malis. I wrote down the name and decided to eat there if ever the chance arose.

You might remember that one week ago the stars were not aligned, and my Friday quickly morphed into somewhat of a challenge. What a difference a week makes. Today was a half day for students (and substitute teachers) and I was able to leave at lunchtime. As it turns out, Malis is literally just down the street from school. (I told you this week was different.) Before I knew it, I was having one of the best meals ever.

Malis is not the kind of place I think of when I think of Andrew Zimmer. No deep fried spiders, no scorpions, no fertilized duck eggs (all of which are readily available on the streets of Phnom Penh.) At Malis, only the finest Khmer cuisine is served. One minute I was ankle deep in sixth graders and the next I was sampling some of the best food I have ever eaten. The menu is extensive--extremely extensive. I decided on the "lunch set" which included an appetizer of grilled seafood salad, followed by vegetable soup with pumpkin, then fish amok (the national dish of Cambodia). It came with stir fried beef with green beans, and for dessert, rice custard. Honest to goodness, it just kept getting better and better.

I've seen Andrew Zimmer eat some pretty strange stuff, and after eating at Malis I am not at all sure why he would ever return to the streets!

1 comment:

  1. THAT'S IT! The fish amok is supposed to be Cambodian comfort food. It looked like gray playdoh but apparently it's fermented fish mash used to flavor many local dishes. Blood cake soup and fish amok -- those were the two must tries according to show. Can't wait for the Blood Soup blog! HA! Love ya Jule

    ReplyDelete