Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Smateria

Almost as soon as I arrived in Cambodia, Eveline gave me a gift, the kind of gift that keeps on giving. It was a lunch bag, which I should add has been put to daily use. It has my name stitched across the top. It's awesome. That was the first time I heard the word 'Smateria.'

Smateria is a workshop and store, making and selling jewelry, fashion accessories, and home decorations. (That's right from their website.) Yes, there is a store , in which can be found many, many styles of tote and gym bags, purses, carry-alls, wallets, and you-name-it; all made from recycled "street" materials. Nets, plastic bags and cartons are transformed into stylish and useful creations. According to their catalog, during the last three years, Smateria has collected and recycled 24, 744 milk and juice cartons and 264 kgs of plastic bags, And, unlike many Cambodian recycling/trash collecting efforts, Smateria strictly prohibits the employment of minors.

But Smateria is so much more than that. Smateria is a for-profit business. But there is one huge distinction: Smateria's mission is to provide employment and job training to people who otherwise might never get such opportunities. They have hired 40 Cambodian managers and tailors, all on formal contracts with competitive salaries, health, and accident benefits (certainly not typical for Cambodia). Smateria often hires family members in an effort to develop vocational skills which can be passed from one generation to the next.

The first time I went to Smateria was on Ev's recommendation. Those who know me can accurately predict that I did not leave empty-handed. The second time I went was because I thought of a gift idea and knew the good folks at Smateria could show me lots of designs (and like I said, they would even personalize my purchase). The third and fourth times I went...oh let's face it, I like the store. I even got a "Welcome back, Sir" when I walked in and a "You very good customer" when I paid for my purchase.

Please visit the website (www.smateria.com) to learn more about Smateria. They ship world-wide.

2 comments:

  1. jay,
    thank you so much for such a great text and comments on our project...we have the feeling you have knewn smateria since its beginning. welcome to visit our production crazy place at any time!
    elisa and jennifer and all the staff, mengchou srei pet and mouiki from the shop,
    prom ray (our taylor at the shop) and srey nieng his assistant, phanna, production manager, vanna production supervisor and the production team, gaeo, moul team, sophet the magic man, kunthea and kunthea again, srey touch the second, makara the painter, phalla the director of the cutting room with kheang and dy and the two new girls, the embroidery team sanmon, houm, srey oun and the beautiful sophoar, the girls quality control with again a srei touch, channy and meina, all the manual operators, the modellist song ou,the accountant ratana, the database entry sinhai and our grandmother manager of the stock lina with her assistant, the 21 people working on the plastic project and the 35 building outside their own small projects.
    THANK YOU!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer, I will recommend Smateria to all my friends for two simple reasons: the workmanship, design and beauty of the products; and the economic support and incentive your company provides. I am a born shopper (make that 'buyer') so Smateria feels like home. Thanks for writing. I feel honored that you would use your time to write. All the best to you and your team. --Jay Thanner

    ReplyDelete