Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Twice in the Same Day

Fekre bides his time

Despite the fact that I told my students several times (nobody listens to me) and despite my many reminders that I am leaving very soon, the news of my departure is making its way through the ninth grade. Within one hour I was asked by two different students if it was true that I am not coming back next year. In both cases, it seemed like news to the student who asked.
Monika on the attack

I was passing the basketball court today and noticed my ninth graders involved in a game of dodge ball. That drew my attention, so I sat down to watch. It was really a kick for me because I love dodge ball. I can't remember how many dodge ball games I orchestrated in my eleven years as an elementary school teacher. Yeah, yeah, I know dodge ball is dangerous. OK, so they get hit in the face, they get hit in the head and they get hit...elsewhere. Sure, sure they smash into each other trying their best to avoid getting plunked. All right! It's a horrible game to which no self-respecting adult would ever subject their students. It's also the coolest game ever.

Seok Ha, Rick, and Hyun Woo

I sat with the injured reserves. Seok Ha had a pinky the size of a Cuban cigar. He showed me his injury. I asked him a few questions, and he explained the particulars of the game. We sat there together and watched. Man it was such a throwback for me. It was also cool because in that conversation, Seok Ha said more to me than in the entire seven weeks we worked together in English class. After a prolonged silence he said, "Mr. Thanner? Is it true that you will not return as our teacher next year?" It's true, I said. He turned his head away and said, "English will be boring again."

Norak

Not thirty minutes later as I was walking toward the front gate, a ninth grader named Norak asked me a similar question about returning next year. I reminded him that Friday was my last day and that I wouldn't return in August. He gestured his disapproval, and I thanked him for the sentiment. Then, as only an Asian kid can, he looked me square in the face and said, "Mr. Thanner, I will miss you."

Let me tell you, those guys sure know how to make an old guy feel good.

No comments:

Post a Comment