Thursday, April 8, 2010

Two Months from Home

In five short days I will spend two months from home. I'm sure at some point I chose to make this happen but no matter how hard I try I can't remember what possessed me to agree to do so. I think it was a fishing trip I took nine months ago with my good friend, Jim Canavan, who happens to be the principal of the high school at the International School of Phnom Penh.



There's something about floating about on Deep Creek Lake in western Maryland on a beautiful summer day (only occasionally stopping to rebait or refresh) while talking about nothing and anything that fools one into thinking that every day could be just like that one. Maybe that's when the topic first arose that I could at least visit Jim and his wife Eveline in Cambodia let alone unretire long enough to serve as a long-term substitute at his school when the opportunity arose.



Sure enough it did (the opportunity is a six week "materity leave" starting in April). Somewhere along the line I agreed to the assignment (teaching English to 5th, 9th, and 12th graders) and that's why I'll soon spend the next two months from home.

No comments:

Post a Comment