Monday, April 26, 2010

It's Like He Said

Srey Mom

My friend, Mark always says that in any school there can be only one goal: to improve student achievement. From the guy who cuts the grass to the bookkeeper who writes the checks, the goal remains the same. It's the same for the lunch lady, the band director,the football coach, the custodian, and the principal as it is for the people who teach the children. He's right you know. Think of it this way: if the grass is cut during exams, students would be distracted and wouldn't perform as well. If lunch is not appetizing and served in a timely manor, students become less prepared for the rest of their instruction. If the band director and the football coach motivate their players, those kids are more eager to attend and do well. You see his point.

Nitor and VK--notice the pseudo man-hug

As somewhat of a visitor to ISPP I am afforded a unique opportunity. From the first day, I have asked myself this question: Is student achievement everybody's goal? I haven't drawn any conclusions--yet. (Let me repeat an earlier observation--somebody has taught these kids something. They are excellent writer's in addition to being well-behaved and eager to perform.) I know what I see and I know what I hear. The principal's guiding question is always: is it good for kids? He wants to know if decisions are being made for the well-being of children or the convenience of adults. The director/superintendent (Barry Sutherland) stated publicly he wants a direct reference to learning in the revision of the school's mission statement.

Johanna and Chloe

Being the boss is about keeping sight of the horizon--the big picture. Being a teacher is about rowing the boat. Every day I am reminded of the awesome power teachers possess. We make decisions, dozens of them, that directly affect the lives of our students. We design and implement meaningful activities designed to increase the students' knowledge and improve their academic abilities. That is certainly no different than I am used to.

Konstantin, Ke, and Niko

As the lessons mound up, and the days go by; I think more and more often of the good folks at Overlea High School (Baltimore County Public Schools) where I used to work. I have more and greater respect for them and the work they accomplish every day. Since I retired four years ago, I can't say I miss the work; but I sure do miss the people.

2 comments:

  1. This Mark guy...he sure is on to something! I wonder what ever happened to him...?

    ReplyDelete