Thursday, April 15, 2010

Man It's hot here

They told me. I believed them. I'm here. They were right. Now I know for myself...it's hot here. Oh I was warned. Everyone familiar with Cambodia told me about the heat. The guide books are perfectly clear. In just my first full day, I know first-hand the effects of this oppressive heat. The temperature is one thing, the humidity makes it feels all the worse.



Just stepping off the airplane at the airport, I was hit by a wall of hot air. It was 90 degrees at 11 o'clock at night. When I finally got to bed, sleeping was a challenge despite how tired I was after almost 24 hours of flights. I turned off the air-conditioner and just used an electric fan. Wrong. That was fine to go to sleep. Staying asleep, well that was a different story. Needless to say, with the return of the air-conditioner the room cooled off just a bit and I was able to fall back asleep.



Phnom Penh is city of smells, some good and some, well, let's just say not so good. In my limited experience with the motorized transports known as "tuk-tuks" I have traveled to several adjoining neighborhoods. From my perch in the tuk-tuk I could smell some wonderful incense and some wonderful food. I have also smelled some of the most profuse odors ever. From one street to the next you can see piles of trash and a magnificent palace. You can smellboth beautiful fragrances and head-turning odors. The heat and humidity sure don't help.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jay, glad to hear you made it safe and sound. We're following your blog and your adventure at the RDU airport must have been a bit scary...thinking you may not even be able to start the first leg.

    Do you think you could "can" the good fragrances and bring some home with you in 60+ days? Leave the other ones there...we can only imagine :o)

    Keep cool...we're rooting for you! Mike and Pat

    ReplyDelete