Monday, June 7, 2010

Like Mother Like Daughter

Sokhom

Tucked deep in the Russian Market, there is a booth owned and operated by Sokhom Meas and her daughter, Dane Chhim. I first met them on a shopping trip with Ev. I knew what I wanted, and Ev knew where to find it. As I admired the collection of stone, bronze, brass, and silver plated sculptures, I spoke to Sokhom, who patiently described the pieces to me. Because I was buying seven of the same piece (Ganesha, the Hindu god of wisdom), she was willing to bargain. Before I knew it, both Sokhom and Dane were searching high and low for seven of the same piece. Ev bought a few things, and I made my purchases. That was the first time.

Dane

When we got home, I admired one of the 80 year-old amulets Ev had gotten there. As if fate intervened, Ev showed me a Dutch magazine article about amulets just like the ones she had bought. That's when I got the idea to buy an amulet and have it converted into jewelry. When I returned to the market, Sokhom and Dane seemed glad to see me, but then again Cambodians tend to be very gracious, and why wouldn't they? I spend. Let's just say they remembered me. (I'm guessing it's tough to forget a huge guy who appears to be sweating to death.) I not only bought an amulet, I told Dane about my idea to have it converted to jewelry. She said she knew just the person who could do that. Then, she took me there. That conversation with the silversmith left me convinced that despite Dane's translation, he did not understand what I wanted. (All I needed was that magazine!) Later that week, I was back at the market with magazine in hand. Dane seemed not to mind being my personal translator, and before long a deal was made.

Sokhom in her stall at the Russian Market

I've been to the market at least eight times for various reasons. I've been souvenir shopping with Ev. I've been gift buying with Jim. I ordered a dress shirt from one of the tailors at the market. I've been a bunch of times on my own. As I mentioned, I went three times alone regarding the jewelry I wanted the silversmith to make. On every occasion after the first, I saw Sokhom (and usually Dane). There was a very good reason for that. Sokhom and Dane are businesswomen trying to make a living like every other businessperson in Cambodia. And like so many people I have met, they are kind and unassuming beyond description. It seemed like nothing for Dane to leave her post at the booth to walk with me (three different times) to the silversmith. On the day I dropped off the amulet and Dane translated the "conversation" while the jeweler studied the magazine pictures, Dane said to me, "When you come back, you come get me and I go with you." That's how she is.


Earlier this week when Savon picked me up after school, he asked me as he always does, "Home, Sir?" No, I said. I need to go to the Russian Market. "Again, Sir? You buy more souvenir?" he asked. Not this time Savon. I need to see somebody, I told him.

When I got to their booth, Dane was combing her mother's hair. "Very slow today, Sir. We are glad to see you." I explained that I wasn't shopping. I just wanted to take their pictures and say goodbye. "But Sir, we get new Ganesh just for you," Sokhom said. Sure enough hanging from the display was a rather large likeness of Ganesha. "We know you like Ganesh, so we got for you to buy." How much? I asked.

No comments:

Post a Comment